Sunday, August 19, 2012

The Lunch Ordeal

Today my whole family was off to drop off my grandparents at the airport for their extremely prolonged journey across the globe. Through my understanding, we were all to have lunch at the airport and then accompany the travelers to security. But apparently this was not so. And for some reason this very fact had become a big deal for me...all day long.
Once we all chose a table and scattered away to look at the restaurants around us (we were supposed to be looking for a simple snack to eat or a drink), I went ahead and purchased a massive salad, with the permission of my mother (who, of course, gave me permission without telling me that no one else in the family would be eating a meal). As I got back to the table we had chosen, I received my surprise of the day.
I was at the sheer end of the table, directly facing the family. I placed my salad on the table and I only got back eyes. Eyes that stared at me, then my salad. Me, then my salad. I realized that there was nothing else sitting on the table besides my salad. Then out of all the quiet I heard a, "Wow." It was my uncle on the right. I curved my head slightly to the right until I heard my father next, "And you didn't bother asking anyone else?" My mother then jumped in and stated, "She said she wanted it so I let her." I whimpered, "Aren't you all having lunch as well...?" All of a sudden a collection of negations flew out to the air by every single member of my family present. I guess I was the only one that assumed lunch would be eaten at the airport.
My insides then started boiling. I'm still deciphering why this moment affected me so much, but at that moment I was breaking down. I was fuming. And then I blew all the smoke on to my sister, who had been sitting right across from me. I knew inside that it was not a big deal, not at all. But for some odd reason, I had reacted so strangely to this little peak of embarrassment. At this time, only my grandparents and cousin were with my sister and I. It was when my father came that things got a little worse for me.
My father came over to the table and started to point and laugh at me. This created an immense lump within my throat. Then the smoke was blown over to my father. I was extremely rude to my father and tears started to tumble down my face. I don't even what I was saying, but all I know was that I wasn't doing the right thing, at all. But I was still fuming. There were too many emotions occurring within me at the time, that I guess I just didn't know what to do with myself and all I could let out was anger. I knew my father had become very unhappy, and I couldn't face him.
This was all just one of the many silly embarrassing moments I have had within my lifetime, but I still don't truly know why my behavior turned into a disaster at the moment. My sister and I are back to normal now, but I still haven't confronted my father yet. Although at the moment I thought it was everybody else's fault except for my own, I now know that it was my own fault. I created my own emotional cyclone, and I yet have to figure out how.


No comments:

Post a Comment