Tuesday, August 7, 2012

Sikh Gurdwara Shooting

The Sikh Gurdwara Shooting occurred in Oak Creek, Wisconsin on August 5, 2012. Six innocent lives were lost.  
I am a Sikh, an American Sikh, and I am exceedingly proud of being both an American and a Sikh. Late Sunday morning, when the shooting initially occurred, I was with my group of Sikh students who were learning Kirtan (a Sikh form of hymns sung in melodious manners). And it was during this time that I heard of the news. The whole group encompassed the television and the tenor of the room turned into one that I had never felt before. It was and still is extremely agonizing to digest the fact that something like this could actually happen. Someone literally entered the Gurdwara, a place allowed for everyone regardless of any differing beliefs, and used the advantage to harm innocent civilians in a place of absolute serenity and worship. It's even worse to know that the Gurdwara is a place where all Sikhs are eagerly anticipated to go to. It is not only where Sikhs worship, but also where they learn about their rich history, learn the words of their ancient language, congregate with the people of same beliefs and teach others about their beliefs. I myself visit my local Gurdwara on Sundays and have been since the very beginning of my life. Gurdwara Sunday has been embedded in every Sikh's life and one cannot even imagine such a demonic act to transpire on a day so important to any Sikh. But this is not only a tragedy for Sikhs; it is a tragedy for all humans in every corner of the world.
The most despairing part of this is that worshippers were targeted which is just so unexpected. This also makes me feel that I could have been in the same incident, but it is exceptionally difficult to feel this because the whole puzzle of the occurrence is such a contradictory.
No human regardless of beliefs, creed, sexual orientation, race, or gender deserves to witness such terrorism. I hope that we as the human race can only move on with this horrendous incident and gain the knowledge needed to prevent horrific incidents such as the Sikh massacre.

No comments:

Post a Comment